- 1 How do I schedule my cosmetology practical exam?
- 2 How long is the cosmetology practical exam?
- 3 How do I get my cosmetology license in NJ?
- 4 What department does New Jersey State Board of Cosmetology Hairstyling fall under?
- 5 What skills are needed to be a cosmetologist?
- 6 What should I wear to my esthetician practical test?
- 7 Is the cosmetology test hard?
- 8 How can I practice cosmetology at home?
- 9 How do I study for cosmetology exam?
- 10 How much does cosmetology school cost in NJ?
- 11 Do Cosmetology hours expire in NJ?
- 12 What state requires the most hours for Cosmetology?
- 13 What states have reciprocity with New Jersey cosmetology license?
- 14 Where do you find information regarding the NJ State Board of Cosmetology?
How do I schedule my cosmetology practical exam?
Scheduling an Exam If you are eligible for examination, then you can visit the PSI website at or contact PSI by phone at (833) 333-4741 to schedule your exam date. Please see the Candidate Information Bulletin for detailed information on scheduling your exam.
How long is the cosmetology practical exam?
The practical examinations vary in length. The cosmetologist exam may take approximately 4 hours, barber 3 hours; manicurist, esthetician and electrologists may take up to 1 ½ hours. Candidates receive a 15-minute break during the barber and cosmetology practical examinations.
How do I get my cosmetology license in NJ?
- Be at least 17 years of age.
- Provide proof of successful completion of high school or its equivalent.
- Provide proof of successful completion of 1,200 hours of instruction in cosmetology and hairstyling at an approved school in New Jersey, another state or a foreign country.
What department does New Jersey State Board of Cosmetology Hairstyling fall under?
There is created within the Division of Consumer Affairs in the Department of Law and Public Safety the New Jersey State Board of Cosmetology and Hairstyling.
What skills are needed to be a cosmetologist?
What Skills Do You Need for Cosmetology?
- Skills for Cosmetologists.
- Skill #1: Cosmetology Skills.
- Skill #2: Good Hygiene.
- Skill #3: Manual Dexterity.
- Skill #4: Physical Stamina.
- Skill #5: Time Management Skills.
- Skill #6: Problem-Solving Ability.
- Skill #7: Commitment to Learning.
What should I wear to my esthetician practical test?
OUTFIT / Uniform:
- No sleeveless tops.
- No see through tops.
- No spaghetti straps.
- No bare midriffs.
- Tops must meet bottoms.
- All black, all white, or a mix of black & white (avoid bright colors)
- Smocks are always a good idea (especially if you are not wearing a uniform)
Is the cosmetology test hard?
The California Cosmetology test is HARD! It is very challenging and you need to be able to answer questions from more than one curriculum – chances are you only studied one curriculum in school. Our exams were developed from the curriculums the state board developed their questions from.
How can I practice cosmetology at home?
- 1 Sign up. Sign up for an online or distance learning program.
- 2 Study the course material. Study the course material.
- 3 Obtain practice materials. Obtain practice materials.
- 4 Practice the skills. Practice the skills described in the written material on the practice materials.
- 5 Get help from the online teachers.
How do I study for cosmetology exam?
How Can I Prepare for the Cosmetology Test?
- Do yourself a favor and study. Do not walk in unprepared.
- Take care of yourself. Make sure you’re eating well, exercising, and sleeping.
- Get a study guide or set of flashcards. Some people study better a certain way.
How much does cosmetology school cost in NJ?
With an average tuition cost of $16,402 for the schools that made our list, New Jersey cosmetology schools provide a good value for the money.
Do Cosmetology hours expire in NJ?
Cosmetology license renewal in New Jersey happens biannually on even-numbered years. If licenses are expired more than 7 years, you must take a 250- hour refresher course and you must re-take the exams.
What state requires the most hours for Cosmetology?
States With Licenses
|1||Massachusetts||1000 clock hours|
|2||Kentucky||1800 clock hours|
|3||South Dakota||2100 clock hours|
|4||Nebraska||2100 clock hours|
What states have reciprocity with New Jersey cosmetology license?
Cosmetologist License by Reciprocity Currently, the State Board of Cosmetology has a reciprocal agreement with every state except: Connecticut, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, New Jersey, New Mexico, Rhode Island, and Utah.
Where do you find information regarding the NJ State Board of Cosmetology?
You can reach the office by calling the New Jersey State Board of Cosmetology phone number 201-504-6400 or 800-242-5846. Their fax number is 973-504-6477. You can acccess the New Jersey state board online by going to www.njconsumeraffairs.gov.